Sidewalk Accessibility Grievance Policy and Procedure


As of January 1, 2018, the City has established a Sidewalk Accessibility Grievance Policy and Procedure. Members of the Settlement Class may submit grievances or complaints regarding access to the City’s pedestrian rights of way for persons with Mobility Disabilities. Members of the Settlement Class who wish to submit an Access Request may do so by visiting MyLA311 Access Request. Settlement Class means the class of all persons (including, without limitation, residents of and visitors to the City) with any Mobility Disability. Mobility Disability or Mobility Disabilities means any impairment or medical condition that limits a person's ability to walk, ambulate, maneuver around objects, or to ascend or descend steps or slopes. A person with a Mobility Disability may or may not use a wheelchair, scooter, electric personal assisted mobility device, crutches, walker, cane, brace, orthopedic device, or similar equipment or device to assist her or his navigation along sidewalks, or may be semi-ambulatory.

Oversight of access compliance activities is the responsibility of the Department on Disability's (DOD) Disability Access and Services Division (DASD). All grievances and complaints concerning the City's efforts regarding sidewalk accessibility should be submitted to DOD.

If a Member of the Settlement Class has a complaint about whether the City is properly implementing the Settlement Agreement, Section 22 of the Settlement Agreement provides that Members of the Settlement Class should notify Class Counsel regarding such complaints by contacting one of the following:

Guy B. Wallace
Schneider Wallace Cottrell Konecky Wotkyns LLP
2000 Powell Street, Suite 1400, Emeryville, CA 94608
Phone: (415) 421-7100
Fax: (415) 421-7105

Linda M. Dardarian
Goldstein, Borgen, Dardarian & Ho
300 Lakeside Drive, Suite 1000, Oakland, CA 94612
Phone: (510) 763-9800
Fax: (510) 835-1417

To read more about the new policy and procedure, please click HERE.